As I’ve now produced 10 lessons of Jazz Piano tuition online, it feels a good time to package them into two blocks of 5 and offer each 5-lesson package at a discount. You can find this deal if you click here.
Lesson 1 – From scales to chords
- Soloing over the Pentatonic scale
- Mastering intervals
- The V – I concept
- One formula to construct all major scales
- 7 chords, one family
Lesson 2 – Building a chord sequence
- Chord sequences
- The relative minor and its scales
- The family row of minor triads
- Soloing in a minor key
Lesson 3 – Mastering every key
- The circle of 5ths
- How to play in any key
- Preview of the II-V-I sequence
- Introduction to the turnaround
Lesson 4 – Swing time
- Learning to swing
- The construction of 7th chords
- How to interpret chord symbols
- Shells – how not to upset the bass player
Lesson 5 – Walking 3s
- Turnarounds part 2: I – VI – II -V
- Walking 3s and 7s: the seeds of vertical improvisation.
- How to use passing notes.
- Voice leading
Lesson 6 – Extensions
- Extensions: how to use 9ths, 11ths and 13th.
- Know which extensions work with which chord.
- Voicing a chord using extensions.
- Introduction to Modes.
Lesson 7 – The II-V-I sequence
- Master the II – V – I sequence in all keys
- Seven soloing techniques over II – V – I
- Alterations: know your sharp 11 from your flat 13
- Flat 9s and the diminished chord
Lesson 8 – How to comp
- Comp like a pro
- Find the best chord voicings
- Use the right extensions
- Build up to a five-note comp
- Explore rhythmic variations
Lesson 9 – Modes
- Know your Mixodydian from your Dorian
- Grasp the connection between modes and chords
- The art of modal soloing and comping
- How to play ‘So What’
Lesson 10 – Autumn Leaves part 1
- Playing your first standard
- Learning the melody
- The comp
- The shells
- The solo