For a jazz pianist, chord voicing is an essential skill.
I’m now in the process of preparing lesson 15 of my video course Learn Jazz Piano Online. This 15th lesson of Learn Jazz Piano Online will be all about chord voicing, particularly how to voice left hand rootless chords. Playing these chords will achieve two things: the bass player will have more space and your own solos will sounds so much better.
Here is a summary of all 14 learn jazz piano lessons online video lessons so far:
Lesson 1 – From scales to chords
- Soloing over the Pentatonic scale
- Mastering intervals
- The V – I concept
- One formula to construct all major scales
- 7 chords, one family
Lesson 2 – Building a chord sequence
- Chord sequences
- The relative minor and its scales
- The family row of minor triads
- Soloing in a minor key
Lesson 3 – Mastering every key
- The circle of 5ths
- How to play in any key
- Preview of the II-V-I sequence
- Introduction to the turnaround
Lesson 4 – Swing time
- Learning to swing
- The construction of 7th chords
- How to interpret chord symbols
- Shells – how not to upset the bass player
Lesson 5 – Walking 3s
- Turnarounds part 2: I – VI – II -V
- Walking 3s and 7s: the seeds of vertical improvisation.
- How to use passing notes.
- Voice leading
Lesson 6 – Extensions
- Extensions: how to use 9ths, 11ths and 13th.
- Know which extensions work with which chord.
- Voicing a chord using extensions.
- Introduction to Modes.
Lesson 7 – The II-V-I sequence
- Master the II – V – I sequence in all keys
- Seven soloing techniques over II – V – I
- Alterations: know your sharp 11 from your flat 13
- Flat 9s and the diminished chord
Lesson 8 – How to comp
- Comp like a pro
- Find the best chord voicings
- Use the right extensions
- Build up to a five-note comp
- Explore rhythmic variations
Lesson 9 – Modes
- Know your Mixodydian from your Dorian
- Grasp the connection between modes and chords
- The art of modal soloing and comping
- How to play ‘So What’
Lesson 10 – Autumn Leaves part 1
- Playing your first standard
- Learning the melody
- The comp
- The shells
- The solo
Lesson 11 – Autumn Leaves part 2
- Taking Autumn Leaves to the next level
- How to fill out the melody
- Comping with alterations
- Soloing with vertical improvisation
Lesson 12 – The Blues part 1
Play with confidence over the blues.
- How to solo creatively
- The minor blues
- Blues in 12/8
Plus lots of tips, tricks and licks!
Lesson 13 – The Blues part 2
- Taking the blues beyond the basics.
- Chord changes that turn blues into jazz.
- Lydian dominant & diminished scales.
- Rootess left-hand voicings.
Lesson 14 – Bebop blues
- Left hand 4-note rootless voicings
- Constructing the Bebop sequence.
- How to solo over a Bebop blues
- Comping over a Bebop blues