Next lesson for Jazz Piano Online
I’m now working on lesson 11 of Jazz Piano Online.
An update from Paul at Jazz Piano online. You can now buy the complete course so click here!
Lesson 1 – From scales to chords
- Soloing over the Pentatonic scale
- Mastering intervals
- The V – I concept
- One formula to construct all major scales
- 7 chords, one family
Lesson 2 – Building a chord sequence
- Chord sequences
- The relative minor and its scales
- The family row of minor triads
- Soloing in a minor key
Lesson 3 – Mastering every key
- The circle of 5ths
- How to play in any key
- Preview of the II-V-I sequence
- Introduction to the turnaround
Lesson 4 – Swing time
- Learning to swing
- The construction of 7th chords
- How to interpret chord symbols
- Shells – how not to upset the bass player
Lesson 5 – Walking 3s
- Turnarounds part 2: I – VI – II -V
- Walking 3s and 7s: the seeds of vertical improvisation.
- How to use passing notes.
- Voice leading
Lesson 6 – Extensions
- Extensions: how to use 9ths, 11ths and 13th.
- Know which extensions work with which chord.
- Voicing a chord using extensions.
- Introduction to Modes.
Lesson 7 – The II-V-I sequence
- Master the II – V – I sequence in all keys
- Seven soloing techniques over II – V – I
- Alterations: know your sharp 11 from your flat 13
- Flat 9s and the diminished chord
Lesson 8 – How to comp
- Comp like a pro
- Find the best chord voicings
- Use the right extensions
- Build up to a five-note comp
- Explore rhythmic variations
Lesson 9 – Modes
- Know your Mixodydian from your Dorian
- Grasp the connection between modes and chords
- The art of modal soloing and comping
- How to play ‘So What’
Lesson 10 – Autumn Leaves part 1
- Playing your first standard
- Learning the melody
- The comp
- The shells
- The solo
This new lesson of Learn Jazz Piano Online is called Autumn Leaves part 2. It should be ready by late-February.